Toledo Edison Company Steeple Cab Locomotive # 2
Seville, OH - Northern Ohio Railway Museum - Steeple Cab Locomotive 2 was built in 1924 for the Toledo Edison Company by the Differential Car Company of Findlay, Ohio. Toledo Edison put the locomotive into service at its Acme Power Plant moving hopper cars of ash and coal. Prior to purchasing the locomotive the company had been using another steeple cab built by the General Electric Company. In need of additional motive power, they turned to the Differential Car Company in nearby Findlay, Ohio. A locomotive of similar design was requested. Differential built the locomotive using the frame and other parts from an earlier Differential work car belonging to Toledo Railways and Light Company. The body style was copied from the GE steeple cab already in service at the plant. It has electrical components from both Westinghouse and General Electric. In later years some of the points in motor the controller burned out, causing the locomotive to leap forward when speeding up. It was thus named Leapin Lena by Toledo Edison crews. Differential tried to enter the locomotive market with the new model, but no further orders were forthcoming, making TE 2 both the prototype and the only unit produced. The Museum acquired the Locomotive in 2005.
Link to Photo Without Frame