Mull Covered Bridge
Fremont, OH - The Mull Covered Bridge is a historic wooden covered bridge in the northwestern portion of the U.S. state of Ohio. Built in the middle of the nineteenth century, it is located near Burgoon in Sandusky County. Although it is no longer used to facilitate transportation, the bridge has been preserved and is now a historic site.
Construction: In 1851, Amos Mull owned a sawmill along the east branch of Wolf Creek in Ballville Township but had a significant problem: the stream hindered potential customers. After he petitioned the Sandusky County Commissioners for aid, his efforts bore fruit: the commissioners agreed to grant $75 toward the construction of a covered bridge near Mull's streamside house, and he agreed to provide the lumber needed to build the bridge. The design selected was known as the Town Lattice truss; composed of many small diagonal elements, the bridge's framework appears to resemble a lattice because of the criss-crossing pattern in which the diagonal elements are attached. The structure itself is composed of the wood from Mull's sawmill, covered with wooden siding placed vertically to cover the sides; it has a metal roof, and the abutments are stone. Measuring 100 feet (30 m) in length, the bridge was built as a single-span structure; at an unknown later date, a concrete support was added in the middle, converting it into a two-span bridge. [Wiki]
Link to Photo Without Frame
Thank You for Making this Daily Photo Tied for the # 4 Pick on 12-11-2017.