Locomotive Number 1000
Boulder City, NV - Nevada State Railroad Museum Boulder City - Locomotive Number 1000 - This type of engine was developed by the Fairbanks-Morse Company for use in diesel submarines. After World War 2, Fairbanks-Morse was looking for applications for these large powerful engines and decided to incorporate them into railroad locomotives. Locomotive Number 1000 was designed by Richard Dillworth and was built by the Electro-Motive Company in 1939. It is a type NW2, and was the demonstrator for this new class of yard switching locomotive. The 1,000 horsepower NW2 demonstrator, originally numbered 889, arrived at UP property in Omaha for a six-month demonstration period. UP found the NW2 to be satisfactory and purchased it, renumbering it to UP 1000. Over the next two years, UP took delivery of an additional 44 type NW2 locomotives before WWII restrictions required the cancellation of pending orders for more units. EMC NW-2 UP #1000 was sold by UP to ST&E as their #1000. It was traded to Western Pacific in 1968 for an ALCO Switcher. W.P. numbered it 607. It was sold to Sacramento Northern in 1973 as their #607. S.N. was owned by W. P. S.N. #607 spent most of her later years. It was later sold to the Nevada State Railroad Museum as UP 1000. While with the S.N. #607/1000 was painted in WP Perlman Green. It is now painted Nevada State Railroad Museum blue.
Link to Photo Without Frame
Thank You for Making this Daily Photo Tied for the # 1 Pick on 09-16-2017.