Marblehead's Original Lighthouse Keeper’s House
Lakeside Marblehead, OH - Marblehead Lighthouse - Wolcott’s Keepers House: Marblehead's Original Lighthouse Keeper’s House.
One of the first settlers on the Marblehead Peninsula was Benajah Wolcott of New Haven, Connecticut. He enlisted in the army at 14 and served until 1784. Without land or a trade or profession, he worked for others until 1806 when he was hired to work on a survey team assigned to map the western most edge of the Connecticut Western Reserve. The survey team was headed by Moses Cleaveland, the man that Cleveland was named after (Cleveland was originally spelled Cleaveland, but was changed by a newspaper that needed to shorten the name to fit on their masthead). This Sufferers Land or The Firelands, along Lake Erie, would be given to Connecticut people who had been burned out by the British during the Revolution.
After completing the survey, Benajah returned to Connecticut, but was determined to return to the area. In 1809 he bought 114 acres on what is now called the Marblehead Peninsula. He brought with him his wife, 3 children, and 2 hired men and together they built a log cabin near the site of the present stone house.