Cape Henry Lighthouses
Virginia Beach, VA - Ft. Story - Cape Henry Lighthouses - The Cape Henry lighthouse has long served to protect and guide vessels entering and leaving the Chesapeake Bay. Today two lighthouses stand at Cape Henry, guardians to the gateway of the Chesapeake Bay. They have been placed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places and have been designated as a National Historic Landmark.
The second Cape Henry Lighthouse was completed in 1881 and sits approximately 350 feet from the first lighthouse. This lighthouse, painted black and white, is maintained and operated by the U.S. Coast Guard. It has been automated and remains in service today and is not open to the public.