Old Fort Jackson Tybee Depot
Savannah, GA - Old Fort Jackson Tybee Depot - Part of the original Tybee depot from Savannah survives as the ticket office for Old Fort Jackson, a part of the Coastal Heritage Society.
The Savannah & Tybee Railroad was incorporated in November 1885 by the Georgia Legislature. The charter was granted to Capt. Daniel G. Purse, who hired a prominent Northern railroad contractor, Thomas B. Inness, and well-known railroad engineer, Capt. John Postell, to complete the railroad.
The first train operated the line on July 18, 1887. High-tide flooding wiped out a stretch of track on McQueen’s Island, effectively ending the 1887 season. By November of that year the track had been repaired. The only other service interruption occurred in August 1893 when a hurricane wiped out the tracks on McQueen’s Island and killed more than 1,000 people in the Savannah area.
Because of financial difficulties, the railroad was sold at public auction in May 1890 and reorganized as the Savannah, Tybee, & Atlantic Railroad. It was operated as a subsidiary of the Central Rail Road & Banking Co. of Georgia until November 1895 when the Central Rail Road was sold at auction and renamed the Central of Georgia. All of the Central Rail Road’s subsidiaries were absorbed into this new railroad, and the Savannah, Tybee, & Atlantic was renamed the Savannah & Atlantic.
Construction of the Tybee Road brought the demise of the Tybee Branch, and the railroad was abandoned in September 1933. The last train operated the line on July 31, 1933.
Link to Photo Without Frame
Thank You for Making this Daily Photo the #3 Pick on 01-16-2017